The best part is: I'm not even done yet.
In this blog post I will describe what I have done up until now, including the painfully long hours of troubleshooting.
The whole project started with ordering the parts, which unfortunately took quite long. I ordered parts from Glass Jar Audio and from THL Audio. Jeff Rossel from Glass Jar Audio was usually quite quick to respond, but it still took about three weeks to get the ordering done because I was very much unsure about how I would do the grounding of all the jacks in the beginning. With Ti Kan's help I eventually sorted it out, and I was ready to order.
Correspondence with THL Audio on the other hand went far from smooth. This is the company where I ordered my chassis and knobs from. They are based in Taiwan, which is unfortunately quite noticeable in their terrible English. They usually took three days to a week to respond to my emails, and as a result it took quite some time before I finally got the order up and running.
There was also a final third company from which I ordered parts, this was an eBay seller named Parts Pipe. I needed a total of four DPDT switches (two poles, two states). As expected from those Hong Kong based companies everything went without a hassle, and to my surprise they were actually the first parts to arrive.
When finally all the parts were in my possession, I was ready to start populating the boards.
|My workbench prepared for the hard work that was about to come|
|All the resistors populated on the first board|
|Small capacitors and resistors|
|Large capacitors and trimpots|
|Unpopulated second channel|
|It takes a lot of time to solder all the parts, so eventually I decided to just almost all of them in one go like this.|
|All resistors and transistors populated on the second board. In this channel I actually messed up the orientation of the JFET's, which set the project back quite a bit of time.|
|Both channels fully populated, except for the six missing resistors.The boards are actually quite heavy at this point.|
After this I went straight on with the Sigma22 (the power supply)
|About half-way populated Sigma22. A lot less (hard) work than the Beta22.|
|The fully populated Sigma22 board.|
|Starting on the chassis. I measured and marked all the points which I needed to drill. In the middle of the crosses I drilled small pilot holes, which were later enlarged to the correct size with a larger drill.|
|All the holes except for the one for AC have been drilled on the backpanel. Note that I made a small mistake on the position of the top right hole in the middle.|
|The front panel ready to be drilled.|
|Populated front panel. Only the potentiometer is still missing, as Jeff forgot to include it in my initial order. He sent it to me along with the missing resistors with no extra charge.|
|The back panel. Two RCA jacks are still missing since Jeff ran out of them. I still have not received them, and I believe I will have to order them from eBay.|
|The three boards sitting inside of the enclosure waiting for the missing resistors and potentiometer.|